Sunday, February 18, 2007

Make a Quality Blog, or I Shall Be Disappointed All Over You.

Style is good, but substance is always the most important to me.

I like short and sweet, or long, but not really long.

The Bitch PhD blog is an example of a short and sweet style. I could never do such a thing because I'm a windbag.

I like long if there's a story inovlved. I don't respond to a string of facts so much as a story with lots of details. Facts are just so... schoolish. Whereas ture stories are conversational. For an example see the reply I posted on the d2l forum for week five.

Really long, though, is just tedious. Unless I'm REALLY interested in what's going on. Like I'd stick around for a really long entry on, say, Lost, Veronica Mars, or Heroes. Or maybe a comic book critique of a series I read. But when you get down to the umpteenth article on academic blogging being dangerous to your job or professional status they just all start looking long.

So, in summation, the best way to create an effective blog is to be amazing. And if that isn't a simple task I don't know what is.

(the previous statement reminds me of the time that our Graphic Design teacher suggested that we read THE (MOTHER F**KIN') FOUNTAINHEAD over winter break.

Bitch PLEASE.

1 comment:

Bridget Gallagher said...

You make a very good point. Substance is very important and I think you sum it up well. If something is too long winded, unless extremely interested, it will be hard to find readers. And....you are entirely accurate in saying that if there is a good story involved, a reader is more likely to stay engaged.

So basically, be amazing and creative with a visually pleasing blog and it'll be a joy to read!